Date(s) - 10/09/2021 - 12/09/2021
COVID-19: If you plan on coming to this meet, please make sure you sign up below, as this will aid track and trace if required. Please remember to adhere to government social distancing rules and do not attend if you have a shielding letter or if you have or live with anyone who has any of the symptoms of coronavirus.
For further information Club members are directed to https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus, https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-meeting-with-others-safely-social-distancing and BMC document entitled ‘COVID-19 guidelines for groups of outdoor climbers and hill walkers’
Location: Wye Valley, Forest of Dean
Wye Valley follows the meandering Wye river in the heart of the Forest of Dean with a large variety of climbing for all! There is a range of Trad in and around the river and forest but also some Sport routes too! This area is a good all rounder and a great area for getting some outdoor experience under your belt.
Please note: some areas cross over the Welsh border and there may be some restrictions in place in selected areas. Please check the UKC website and BMC RAD for any updates.
If you would like to have a look at the range of climbing available, please take a look at the UKC website: https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/map/?g=0&loc=&dist=50&km=1&q=WYE+VALLEY&rock=0&dir=0&day=0&rain=0#main
The Club library has a small selection of Guidebooks available for loan here: https://southamptonclimbingclub.org/club-gear/scc-equipment/
We will be camping at Cherry Orchard Farm. The farm is situated on the B4231, 1.5 miles east of Redbrook, 3 miles south of Monmouth off the A466 Chepstow to Monmouth road, and 1/4 mile north of the village of Newland, which straddles the B4231. Both Monmouth and Coleford are within about ten minutes drive. The campsite is a small, simple site with basic facilities with a couple of pubs nearby for all your beer and food needs! (Though I have been told booking is advised!).
We have reserved 12 spaces for the weekend, camping cost will be £18 for 2 nights per person. The campsite prefer payments in cash as a group on arrival and please state you are with Southampton Climbing Club. Once all these spaces are taken there may be the opportunity to book further spaces.
Please note: the phone signal is not reliable in the area however the owners are happy to help if we need to contact anyone in exceptional circumstances.
Address and contact:
Newland, Coleford, GL16 8NP
For those becoming familiar outdoor climbing – We are given access to many crags by land owners, and are expected to treat the land with respect. Please be mindful of any litter (you will see many of us picking up and taking litter home, to help keep the area clear). There are no toilets once we are at the crag so please be prepared for this.
Kit – where possible please bring your own equipment
- Climbing shoes
- Climbing harness
- Trad/Sport climbing equipment
- Abseil and rope protectors
- Abseil kit (Prussik, belay plate and carabiner)
- Your own chalk/tape (liquid chalk if possible)
- Pack lunch & water
- Layers – being quite exposed to the wind you might get chilly in-between problems.
- Waterproof – just in case
- Suncream – just in case it’s sunny
- Sturdy pair of walking/approach shoes
- Personal alcohol gel/hand sanitiser
- Personal first aid kit
The club has some equipment that can be booked out on loan for the weekend. If you’re in need, please go to https://southamptonclimbingclub.org/club-gear/scc-equipment/
Please see the current government guidelines on travelling: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-safer-travel-guidance-for-passengers#history
To allow for completion of the risk assessment, sign up will close at 6pm on Thursday 9th September 2021.
Signing up to this meet you are confirming that:
- You do not currently have symptoms of COVID-19 (new persistent dry cough, fever, loss of
taste or smell)
- You have not had a positive test for COVID-19 or onset of symptoms of COVID-19 in the last10 days. (Individuals who have completed their period of isolation (10 days) and have no remaining symptoms (other than a dry cough or loss of taste or smell which can last for some time) may return to normal activities)
- No member of your household has had symptoms of COVID-19 or has tested positive for COVID-19 in the last 14 days
- You have not been contacted by a contact tracer from the Test, Trace and Protect Programme and told to isolate in the last 14 days as a contact of someone with confirmed COVID-19
- You have not returned from a country outside of the UK in the last 14 days, other than those on the exempt list (https://gov.wales/exemptions-self-isolation-coronavirus-covid-19-html)
To book on to this event you must first login at the top of this page. If you are logged in and still seeing this message then bookings for this event are now closed or you have not renewed your subscription for this year.
There are 10 of 25 spaces remaining