Club FAQs & Info
You need to be able to put a harness on, tie in to a rope, and belay safely. If you are not yet at this stage, we recommend that you first consider doing a local introduction to climbing course such as those run at Boulder Shack or Calshot.
- Tuesdays between 7 and 10pm at Boulder Shack;
- Mondays from 7pm at Red Spider; and
- Thursdays from 7pm at Calshot.
We usually go to a nearby pub for a drink after each session - you can find us at Bookshop Alehouse on Tuesday evenings.
We also have loads of outdoor climbing meets which you can see on our events calendar here.
The club’s membership year runs from January. The joining fee is £30, reduced to £20 for those joining from the beginning of July onwards.
As well as a sociable atmosphere in which to enjoy climbing, there are also some specific benefits of joining the club. These include:
- Regular outdoor meets throughout the year, across the UK;
- Regular social events;
- Discounted climbing at Boulder Shack on a Tuesday night;
- Discounted climbing at Calshot at all times;
- Discounted climbing at Red Spider on Monday evenings;
- BMC affiliation, including civil liability insurance;
- Discounts of up to 20% at leading outdoor shops;
- Ability to borrow to club equipment for outdoor club meets, and for your own trips when available as well;
- Access to our extensive guide book library;
- And of course, a whole group of belay buddies!
We would encourage you to come and meet us at one of our indoor climbing sessions. Please be aware that if you have not already been to the climbing wall you're looking to meet us at, you may need to undertake an assessment to use the facilities. We also run occasional new member socials where prospective members are encouraged to come along and have chat, climb or slice of pizza even.
Non-members are also welcome to attend some outdoor meets as a guest of an existing member, although in many situations we have to restrict outdoor meets to members only due to space.
- Yes, if you are already a member of the BMC through another BMC affiliated club, you can claim the cost of one of your BMC memberships back from the BMC when you join our club. Full details can be found here.
- If you have another form of full membership - Under 27, Individual or Family then it gets a bit more complicated as there is no automated system for this and you should contact the BMC membership team directly to discuss. 📧 firstname.lastname@example.org or 📞01614456111. Please ensure that you review the benefits available as a club member and as a full member as there are some slight differences and make the right choice for you.
- If you wish to upgrade your Club affiliate membership to be a full member of the BMC you can do this at a reduced rate - Full details here.
Absolutely! For example, we welcome people who are staying in Southampton for a short period and want to keep climbing whilst away from home. If you are planning to climb regularly, you may well stand to save money by joining the club because of the discounts we receive at local walls (see above).